Political Science Curriculum
(Recent curriculum, revised 2021)
The title of the degree
Bachelor of Political Science
Politics and Government
Social disparity is undeniably one of the most serious issues confronting Thai society today. This is because inequity has an impact on access to resources and, more importantly, human dignity. It has shown itself in the forms of socioeconomic imbalance, cultural and ethnic prejudice, and gender oppression, among other things. These issues have appeared, existed, and changed in a variety of ways across time, depending on a variety of factors and situations. The centralized government and the power structures that have grown as a result of it are the most crucial components that have produced those issues.
There are, however, no power structures that can continue to rule and govern people indefinitely. The social circumstances that are developed to accept the centralized government powers would change in the same way that everything else must change. Globalization, the growth of capitalism and neoliberalism, technological advancement that has resulted in the formation of a network of transnational civil societies, and the establishment of the ASEAN Community are some of the elements that have influenced Thailand’s power structure. The central government’s power has become increasingly fragile and weak, triggering resistant movements for further resistance, civil disobedience, and systemic changes at any time.
Given the aforementioned situation in contemporary Thai society, it is obvious that the university, as a higher education institution, must play a role in producing qualified graduates. They should be aware of changes, have a full understanding of societal dynamics from the past to the present, and have a thorough understanding of the complexities of diverse phenomena. They should also be willing to speak up for justice and to adhere to the aim of creating a society that is equitable and livable for everyone.
Walailak University’s Bachelor of Political Science Program is aimed to create competent human resources with the skills and values listed above. For the teaching and learning process, the Program uses a novel political science paradigm. This new paradigm is made up of cutting-edge ideas and instructional approaches that can transcend the limitations of a single-disciplinary approach. Students have been given the means to explore new learning frontiers that are more expansive and intelligent than their current ones, allowing them to get a better grasp of the subject at hand. Furthermore, the Program’s learning strategies will teach students collective awareness, which they will be able to use to their job as sympathizers and advocates for the poor and marginalized in society after graduation.
Objectives of the Program
- To produce graduates with a broad grasp of relevant political science knowledge and research capabilities, particularly in the fields of politics and government, international relations, and ASEAN studies.
- To produce graduates with knowledge and abilities that meet the needs of the public, private, and community sectors, particularly those working on a variety of projects that have an increasing demand for qualified human resources who can bring new approaches to developing Thai society and promoting equality at all levels.
- To educate graduates with a strong sense of community, a desire to work for the greater good, and the ability to engage with individuals from all walks of life in both the public and private sectors.
Choosing a career path
- Government and local government officials
- Diplomats and politicians
- Personnel employed by independent organizations
- Researchers engaged in research and development initiatives
- Personnel for non-governmental organizations on a national and international level
- Personnel from the public and commercial sectors employed in the ASEAN region.
Guidelines for advanced studies at the graduate level
Graduates may pursue master’s and doctoral degrees in political science or other disciplines at both domestic and international universities.
The education system of a university
It is a trimester system in which each academic year is divided into three semesters, each of which lasts at least 12 weeks.
The cost of tuition
The semester tuition is 12,700 baht.
Tuition for the whole course is 152,400 baht.